resulting in £24M savings
in the first year
from 32:1 to 16:1
Arriving at the right assessment solution for a complex, multi-faceted, multi-billion-pound contemporary business is a major challenge. But, this was a challenge that PeopleScout’s team of psychologists was built for when our banking client came to us with a big brief. The bank had just launched a crucial new set of values. They wanted us to create a bespoke, joined-up and levelled behavioural assessment framework, along side a full suite of assessment tools to support hiring into core customer-facing roles across the bank.
We began by carrying out a comprehensive job analysis, involving over 300 colleagues in focus groups, and one-on-one interviews with job incumbents, senior stakeholders and transformation stakeholders. We identified synergies and differences between role requirements and complexity across the bank. The detailed research and analysis revealed three job families across all roles, each with four levels of complexity. We developed definitions and behavioural indicators for each group and each level in the framework.
Following sign-off on the new behavioural framework, we developed the assessment matrix and recommended key assessment methods. We streamlined and simplified the existing multi-stage process, bringing both the process and tools into alignment with the new values. This made it easy to understand and implement across the bank. We recommended a three-stage process across the framework, allowing for tailoring to job family and complexity levels, using specific skills assessment and assessment centre micro exercises.
We built-in various ways of measuring the cost-efficiencies and the overall return-on-investment of the end-to-end assessment solution. The client were delighted with the results:
- A reduction in the classroom-based training time required as the calibre of candidates was improved.
- Improved conversion at every stage of the assessment process, meaning less business time was required for assessment. The application-to-hire ratio was cut by half, from 32:1 to 16:1.
- There was a 55% reduction in first-year attrition.
- There was a 58% reduction in whole life recruitment cost, saving £24M.
AT A GLANCE
- COMPANY: Leading British Bank
- PEOPLESCOUT SOLUTIONS: Recruitment Process Outsourcing, Talent Advisory
- ABOUT THE CLIENT: This leading UK financial services group that includes multiple retail banking brands. The client has been partnering with PeopleScout for over 20 years, making it one of our longest-standing client relationships.